May 18, 2012

One Thing to Know

Ooooo....I got (got...took...potayto, potahto) a sneak peek at a few blogs this morning (I try not to read anyone else's before I post mine) and I think what I've chosen to write about is going to be the MAIN theme today.

Here's the topic:

Today let's borrow a topic from a #dsma chat held last September. The tweet asked "What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn't have diabetes about living with diabetes?" Let's do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes. Have more than one thing you wish people knew? Go ahead and tell use everything.

If you don't have this disease, you don't get to say a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. about how I manage it. Period. Curious questions are fine if you truly want to learn in a non-judgmental fashion, but don't give me the attitude or the "If only you would/wouldn't/did/didn't ____" sentence. Right? Because I chose this (eyeroll). This will only make me want to explain to you that D can happen to anyone and maybe YOU should/shouldn't or do/don't do ___. A kind of warning shot across your bow, if we want to get pirate-y about it. Keep pushing me and you'll get more than just the warning shot...arrr. Don't judge me; ask me what you can do to help me when I need it.

I have to clarify by saying
1. When I was still on my parent's insurance, THEY were allowed to judge (ie: lovingly nag) and micromanage me. That's only fair and right.
2. Right now, I give the husband and the doctor/CDE privileges to manage WITH me. That's different.

In the (somewhat) infamous words of my 7th grade classmate summing up his book report in front of the class (ha ha, Renee! Remember??): "Well, that's all I got to say 'bout that."

***Insert slight change of topic....HERE***
(don't you love the asterisk? I use them at work a little too much, but I think they're fun!)

This bit goes back to day 3 of this series. The husband and I took a walk after dinner last night. We walked a block farther than usual, but it was also a longer block than usual with a hill included. Bleck. But I did it. And I managed not to bite my husband's head off when he commented, "Are you okay? You're panting a little..." Yes, dear, just out of shape (as he practically skips along).

Got back to the house, felt good for about...oh, thirty or forty minutes? Then I was like, eh, feeling like the sugar's dropping. It's ok, my meter is right over there....I'll get up at the next commercial break and check.

Two commercial breaks later, I drag my tail ALLLL the way over there (about 6 feet) and check.

38.

Do what now?? Thinking of this post, let's just see about that. Another test strip out, click.

39.

Okeydokey. Two Elmo fruit punch juiceboxes....30 grams of carbs. Should be good. Ah.

Then I jump on my computer and email my friendly Dexcom rep and tell him to call me today so I can order my own system.

Sigh. I had literally been thinking a lot about Dex yesterday and trying to decide yea or nay on it. I guess this was God's way of telling me loud and clear, YEA.

(Ha ha, that reminds me of the movie The Court Jester with Danny Kay where the king is about to knight him and the entire court keeps repeating "YEA, VERILY, YEA." Funny, funny movie.)

In my last bit of news, today will be my last day posting for this series. I may do the post for tomorrow on Monday, but we'll see if I remember to take any d-related pictures. In the words of Phoebe, "Oh I'm sorry, I can't because...I don't want to."

No offense, I just like to be as computer free on the weekends as possible. I unplug, kinda (just computer, not phone). Plus I'm busy getting stuff done that I didn't do during the week.

See you all Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Love The Court Jester plug! My kids love that movie! Have a good Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shannon! I'm enjoying your blog too!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice and no robots allowed!