May 16, 2012

Day 3: What I Suck At

Ok, so that's not the point of today's prompt, but that's how I'm feeling lately. Blame PMS, whatever. Here's the topic:

Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at. Today let's look at the flip-side. We probably all have one thing we could try to do better. Why not make today the day we start working on it. No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on.

Weeeeeeeell, my biggest thing is exercise. When I get into it, I guess the endorphins get flowing and I exercise more...but it's just getting into it that I have issues with. I was doing great in February, through March, but then when I didn't see the results that I wanted I slowed down, then stopped.

I was on the treadmill 4-5 times a week. I tricked myself by calling it my reading time, MY time. My treadmill has a great little ledge below the controls that's just big enough to prop my Kindle on so I could read my little heart out during my walks. I really do love to read and I don't do it as much anymore, so it seemed like the perfect solution.

I think I was building muscle and not burning the fat like I wanted. I won't go so far to say I had buns of steel, but....yeah, they were pretty awesome. But I didn't get into any smaller sized pants. In fact, the pants that I've been wearing....can't believe I'm admitting this...deep breath....arealittletighter.

Whew.

I tried adding some resistance band exercises and I can feel the burn with just a few of those. I still do these about 3 times a week, but not hardcore or anything. In fact, I did a few this morning (because I got my hair trimmed again yesterday and didn't have to spend as much time fussing with it, so I had some extra time--not because I'm super woman in the morning or anything).

J and I take a walk about halfway down the neighborhood and back in the evenings after dinner on the nights that he's home and it's not raining or super hot. But we meander more than really exercise. It only half counts.

I blame the Lantus that I was on before I started podding. I don't think I'm gaining any more...but I'm not losing either and I think that's because of the non-existent exercise in my life. Too many nights, I claim the "but what if I go low?" excuse and then settle back on my little couch and watch another Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives episode (love that Guy Fieri! I always say the opening line with him). But, you know what? Big deal if I start going low! I should just take a juicebox downstairs with me, set it in the little cupholder on the treadmill, and GO.

So there we go. No more excuses! Exercise more! Don't let the 'betes win!

UPDATE: I just printed off this workout from Fitbie. While I am always skeptical of claims to "blast away belly fat" this one looks challenging enough and a good enough mixture of exercises that I want to try it. The first two weeks seem easy enough. I may extend them another week, but we'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I love Guy Fieri too!!! That show always makes me hungry...which isn't a good thing at 10pm!

    Just keep walking...

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice and no robots allowed!