February 6, 2013

approval

I can't remember if I said this before, but high praise and kudos to my cousin Lauren who reads my blog {hiiiiiii!!) and asked if she could put me in touch with her friend Brittany because she thought I could use some advice regarding my struggle with my insurance to approve me for a Dexcom system.

Super high praise, thanks, and I'll-totally-be-your-2,500-mile-away-BFF-in-Georgia to Brittany for suggesting I get a case manager and have them help me with the appeals process.

I finally talked to a case manager a couple weeks ago. She was SO nice. I don't know why I didn't call sooner.

Oh, yeah, because I pretty much hate talking on the phone. I do it all. day. long. It's so awkward.

Or maybe that's me. But whatever.

The POINT is, I did it and I'm glad I did. After talking to my case manager, I contacted my doctor's office and asked them to send the info she requested--it wasn't even much, just something saying that I had diabetes, that I was responsible about it, and that I was over 25 years old (what that has to do with it, I dunno).

Last Friday, my case manager called me and said she was really hoping there would have been a decision made that day, but she hadn't seen anything uploaded into her system yet and that she would call me on Monday when she heard. Throughout the whole process she was very positive about this working out for me. The only hang-up (??) was my "good" A1c of 6.6 --anything under 7.0 is apparently considered good. But she was pretty sure she could talk them around that point since it had crept up from 6.2.

Monday I was on pins and needles all day. ALL. DAY!!!!

I went ahead and emailed my contact at Dexcom to kind of get the ball rolling on that end. 

She finally called around 4 and gave me the good news. I AM APPROVED!!!

I again emailed my contact at Dexcom, told him the good news, gave him her name and number and he said, "What color do you want and where do you want it shipped?" Of course I'm getting the pink one.

A couple more back-and-forths with some paperwork and, of course, payment and I should be all set.

YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it nice and no robots allowed!